EPA Indoor airPLUS
The builder and the rater are responsible for verifying these requirements.
Additional information can be found at Indoor airPLUS Program Documents, including...
- Moisture Control
- Install a drain or sump pump in basement and crawlspace floors, discharging outside at least 10 ft. away from the foundation or into an approved sewer system.
- Basements and crawl spaces are insulated, sealed and conditioned.
- A layer of aggregate or sand with geotextile matting is installed below slabs.
- There is protection from water splash damage if there are no gutters or downspouts.
- Supply piping in exterior walls is insulated with pipe wrap.
- There is hard-surface flooring in kitchens, baths, entry, laundry and utility rooms.
- Radon - Radon-resistant features are installed in Radon Zone 1 homes, including a backwater valve at the drain tile outfall. Determine applicability with EPA Map of Radon Zones.
- Pests - Corrosion-proof rodent/bird screens installed at openings that can’t be fully sealed (ventilation system, intake/exhaust outlets, attic vent openings). Clothes dryer vents are excluded.
- HVAC Systems - Duct systems are protected from construction debris and no building cavities are used as air supplies or returns. No air-handling equipment or ductwork is installed in the garage. Clothes dryers are vented to the outdoors or drained. Central forced-air HVAC system(s) must be rated MERV 8 or higher according to ASHRAE 52.2-2007. There must be no ozone generators in the home.
- Combustion Pollutants - No unvented combustion space-heating or decorative appliances within conditioned space. All fireplaces and other fuel-burning and space-heating appliances are vented outdoors and supplied with adequate combustion and ventilation air. Emission standards are met for fuel-burning and space-heating appliances. CO alarms are installed in sleeping zones.
Install automatic door closer on all connected doors to attached garages. In homes with exhaust-only whole house ventilation, either add exhaust fan to garage that vents outdoors or verify that garage-to-house barrier can maintain a pressure difference > 45 Pa while the home maintains a 50 Pascal pressure difference with respect to the outdoors. Fan efficacy levels should match ENERGY STAR criteria for exhaust fans.
- Materials - All wood products, including structural panels, cabinetry, shelving, and doors, interior paints and finishes, carpets, carpet adhesives, and carpet cushion, and adhesives and sealants are certified low-emission.
- Find compliant low emission products that fall into the above categories.
- Although multiple certifications or labels are provided as examples for each product type, a single listed label or certification for a specific product is enough to comply.
- Note: Use caution when selecting “green” product labels. A product may claim to be healthier and still not comply with Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications.
- Final - HVAC system and ductwork is dry and clean and a new filter is installed. The home is ventilated before occupancy. Equipment manuals, the Indoor airPLUS label and certificate are provided to the owner.